What we did
We provided a full acoustic design review, advice, surveying, testing and monitoring service for this £11m refurbishment of the London Borough of Sutton’s 1970s sports centre.
The refurbishment, modification and extension project updated the centre's facilities including an 8-lane 25m competition pool, a large 20m x 10m teaching pool, an 8-court sports hall, a 170 station fitness gym, spinning room, beauty treatment rooms, dance studios, a library, cafe, crèche, IT facilities and meeting rooms.
From an acoustic perspective, the project’s main issues were:
- Noise emissions from ventilation and catering
- External noise intrusion affecting the surrounding neighbourhood
- Sound insulation between rooms to meet bespoke BREEAM requirements
- Reverberation within rooms to meet Sports England guidelines
Throughout the design and construction stages, our advice on the reverberation control, sound insulation and neighbourhood noise involved:
- Conducting a noise survey, pre-refurbishment conditions survey and environmental impact assessment to satisfy Local Authority planning requirements;
- Acoustically reviewing the architect’s detailed construction drawings to identify any areas of conflict, non-compliance and/or concern;
- Working with the architect and M&E contractor on the Centre’s indoor ambient noise levels, sound insulation between rooms and reverberation within rooms to achieve an Excellent BREEAM rating;
- Providing internal and external acoustics advice to meet the exacting standards defined by Sports England, including DDA issues;
- Monitoring installation during construction and providing recommendations to address any issues that arise on site;
- Carrying out post construction commissioning measurements prior to the Centre’s launch.
The project team
Architect: The HOCA Practice
Quantity Surveyor: The HOCA Practice
Acoustics: Adnitt Acoustics